Top 10 2017 Oscar Snubs
With the announcement of yesterday’s 2017 Academy Awards Nominations, I thought I’d throw in my two cents about what should have made the cut. On with the list!
- Deadpool- Despite getting love from the Golden Globes and Guilds, I knew it would be unlikely that the wild 2016 comic book movie would get a Best Picture nod. Sadly, my prediction turned out to be correct as the usual batch of suspects were nominated instead. One day a comic book movie will be nominated!
- Taraji P. Henson in “Hidden Figures”- While the entire ensemble cast was stellar, Taraji P. Henson is what really made “Hidden Figures” shine.
- “The Little Prince”- Granted, the Best Animated Film category is crowded this year, but it’s a shame this gem was grossly overlooked.
- Tom Hanks in “Sully”- Perhaps it’s because “Sully” was released too soon, but it’s a real head scratcher as to why Hanks (and the film for that matter) got the cold shoulder.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson in “Nocturnal Animals”- While Michael Shannon was undoubtedly great in “Nocturnal Animals,” Aaron Taylor-Johnson was arguably the real standout from that underrated film.
- Hugh Grant in “Florence Foster Jenkins”- While Meryl Streep’s amazing performance was rightly recognized by the Academy, her co-star Hugh Grant (as well as the equally deserving Simon Helberg) didn’t make the cut.
- Sing Street songs- It is baffling that the charming Irish musical’s tunes “Drive It Like You Stole It” or “Go Now” were shut out.
- Issei Ogata in “Silence”- “Silence” came late to the game and didn’t exactly find an audience, but Ogata’s strange and compelling performance was certainly worthy of a nom.
- “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” managed to score 2 nominations, but for some reason it did not secure two more for the score and costume design.
- Amy Adams in “Arrival” or “Nocturnal Animals”- When will Amy Adams get her due? Yes, she has been nominated 5 times before, but she’s never won and continues to be overlooked for her consistently great work.
No comments yet.