Ranking The X-Men Universe Films
With “X-Men: Apocalypse” a few days, it should come as no surprise that this week’s list is devoted to the “X-Men” franchise. Below you will find my personal ranking of the “X-Men” universe films (“Deadpool” included). On with the ranking!
- X-Men: First Class- After the deeply underwhelming “X-Men: The Last Stand” and the atrocious “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” I went into “First Class” expecting very little. Boy, was I surprised. I love everything about this fourth installment as it completely revitalized the franchise with a great new ensemble cast, a James Bond esque style, and superb direction by Matthew Vaughn.
- X-Men- The first film will always hold a special place in my heart as it not only helped legitimize the ever growing comic book movie genre, but it also made these iconic characters come to life in live-action form. Simply put, it deserves more credit and praise than it gets.
- Deadpool- A fresh, fun, and fast-paced spin-off that FINALLY gave us the Deadpool and Colossus we’ve been waiting for.
- X2- Clunky pacing aside, X2 remains a strong sequel thanks to Nightcrawler, emotional character arcs, a bad-ass Magneto, and a strong villain in William Stryker (expertly played by Brian Cox).
- X-Men: Days of Future Past- A lot of people will tout this as the best “X-Men” film, but, to me, it’s an overlong sequel that is largely about characters trying to convince other characters. With that said, there’s a lot to admire here including the magnificent Quicksilver who isn’t given nearly enough screentime.
- The Wolverine- While better than ‘Origins’ (which isn’t saying much), the movie is still an overblown mess. Hopefully the third and final Wolverine film will go out with a bang rather than a whimper.
- X-Men: The Last Stand- While the third film has its moments (fastball special and Danger Room in particular), there’s no doubt that it crippled the franchise by offing major characters, ruining the Dark Phoenix story, and screwing up continuity so much that it had to be rebooted.
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine- An unwatchable prequel that managed to make Wolverine boring. One of the worst comic book movies ever made.
No comments yet.